Wednesday, May 22, 2013

BikeBasix.com Infringes my artistic work


An year ago, I did this above silhouette photograph at a sea shore near my town Cuddalore. It was a bit of challenge for me, as, apart from my FujiFilm JZ300 - a basic digital camera, my Royal Enfield Bullet and myself, I neither had a much needed tripod to fix the camera on the ground for such a situation, nor a friend to help out in doing the click.

So, I just took my handkerchief, unfolded it a little, put it on the filthy ground and placed my camera above it. Then I set the timer in my camera to 10 seconds.

I needed to ensure that the camera covered my desired frame and also eclipse the sun for giving me a perfect silhouette. The exercise is like; I would press the button; run a little to stand near my bike and wait for the camera to do the click. Then, come back to the camera to check if the result had been what I was having in my mind.

My repeated activity invited weird look from a local folks loitering around in this beach for their early morning routine. I just pushed their awkward reaction down and with a bit of difficulty concentrated on my work.

After a few clicks, I got the idea of composing the best picture in the given condition!!  The above photograph was a result of the perseverance.



I had blogged the awesome photography experience on this blog and now an year has gone by. 

The dismay to me now, is that, I found that such a hard work of mine was simply lifted off the internet and used by http://bikebasix.com to sell their merchandise.





Above is a screen grab from the portal of the Ahmedabad based company BikeBasix. The merchandise which has my photograph is being sold at Rs.499 a piece, all these being done without my knowledge, as a person who had created the artistic work with much effort.

Ref URL of the stolen piece is: http://bikebasix.com/t-shirts/legend.html


My artistic work has been infringed by BikeBasix.com without due credits or compensation to me for their commercial activity. The people doing such a disrespectful thing are alumnus of IIM Lucknow http://bikebasix.com/about-us/.

Copyright Act 1957 is there to safeguard the rightful owners of such hard work and this call for getting me into a new kinda experience of taking up legally against somebody for stealing my content for their commercial activity.

17 comments:

K. Srinivasan said...

It is very sad and unfortunate that educated high profile alumni of IIMs are highly insensitive to such original works. The institutions like IIM, besides teaching high end education should also teach values and ethics to their students.

Srini said...

@ K. Srinivasan Sir,

Rightly said...

Though I tried clarifying to them over the phone, and explained to them on the clause of the violation, their blunt reply and their presumption that they are right was a bit of annoying to me.

K. Srinivasan said...

@Srini - You can also keep this informed to the Director of concerned IIM, so that they will also be in know of things, how their students behave in the outside world.

Anonymous said...

i have sent a review stating the same problem in their website still no response..they disapproved the review ..whois look up of the website for some contact details..cld be of any help
http://whois.net/whois/bikebasix.com

Oulag said...

Hi Srini,

You better contact and post in rediff and yahoo news. They await such interesting news and these IIM people can be tarnished.

Rajasubramanian S said...

Copyright is now understood as a Right to copy !

Just Get PMP said...

Very unfair to put it simply.

Binny Sharma said...

Post in on their facebook pages..
www.facebook.com/BikeBasix is their page for the store... the facebook page for their t-shirt marketing is www.facebook.com/iridebikegear and this page has more number of likes and used for their tshirt sales only... hit them where it hurts...

Srini said...

Yes Binny Sharma

Done!

Binny Sharma said...

Can't see it... Seems ur post has been deleted... check again... tag them if u want in ur post...

Srini said...

Hi Binny

Its visible
Please look on the right side (recent post by others)

Could you see it?

Binny Sharma said...

ya.. I can now.. Check your email.. have sent more info..

Srini said...

Hi Binny

ve u sent to srini@srini.me?
So far, i ve not received ur email...

Binny Sharma said...

ya.. sent on that email.. its from the id binneed@yahoo.. Check spam folder..

Srini said...

Hi Binny
I checked. I so far did not receive it yet.
pl chek
or resend please

Binny Sharma said...

Sent message on facebook.. Check on other messages in your message folder since i am not in your friend list..

Anonymous said...

Srini, This is totally not done. I doubt these guys are IIML students. Looks like they are amateurs.
http://www.bikebasix.com/index.php/legend-361.html
They are still selling it.
You must make this public on FB. Post in the Black List https://www.facebook.com/groups/57994002531/
Also see this site. http://whopaysindeed.in/
Mention this on all possible Bike Forums online.
This is not just stealing, they are not even offering a photo credit, leave alone a payment for use of the artwork. Totally unfair practice.